EMPLOYER: Scouts Canada
Do you want to be a part of the change you want to see in the world? At Scouts Canada our Vision is “Canadian youth making a meaningful contribution to creating a better world.” For more than 100 years, Scouts Canada has brought a world of adventure, outdoor experience, friendship and fun to 17 million Canadian youth and we need passionate people who share our Mission to develop well-rounded youth better prepared for success in the world.
Scouts Canada is seeking a Website Developer to join our Scouting Experience team in the National Head Office (Ottawa). Reporting to the Director, Communications and as a key member of the Scouting Experience, you will work closely with the Scouting Experience team, volunteers, and other subject matter experts to develop and design Scouts Canada’s digital strategy with a main focus on Scouts.ca. The Website Developer will be responsible for designing, coding, and modifying Scouts.ca, from layout to function, striving to create a visually appealing site that features user-friendly design and clear navigation.
Do you think you have what it takes to become our Website Developer? If you answered yes, we want to hear from you!
Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Responsible for both front-end and back-end development.
- Manages all website projects – including defining scope, communicating with stakeholders, and offering UX and UI expertise.
- Maintains AODA compliance and develops SEO strategies.
- Website and software application designing, building, or maintaining.
- Using scripting or authoring languages, management tools, content creation tools, applications, and digital media.
- Conferring with teams to resolve conflicts, prioritize needs, develop content criteria, or choose solutions.
- Directing or performing Website updates.
- Developing or validating test routines and schedules to ensure that test cases mimic external interfaces and address all browser and device types.
- Maintaining an understanding of the latest Web applications and programming practices through education, study, and participation in conferences, workshops, and groups.
- Identifying problems uncovered by customer feedback, testing, and correcting or referring problems to appropriate personnel for correction.
- Evaluating code to ensure it meets industry standards, is valid, is properly structured, and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems.
- Determining user needs by analyzing technical requirements.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Web development or related field, or relevant experience.
- Strong understanding of UI, cross-browser compatibility, general web functions and standards.
- Multimedia Content Development and application of APIs
- Experience and/or hands-on design experience with ModX a plus.
- Proficient in My SQL.
- Some grasp of security principles and how they apply to E-Commerce applications would be an asset.
- Familiarity with design software Adobe Creative Suite would be an asset.
- Dedicated team player.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to develop ideas and processes and clearly express them.
- High degree of independent judgment.
- Able to solve complex problems.
- Works in office environment
- Long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain
- Irregular hours such as evening and weekend work will be required to achieve objectives and collaborate with volunteers – e.g. occasional weekend meetings and more regular out of office hours calls / meetings.
- Must role model values of Scouts Canada, including our Child and Youth Safety program.
- PRC (Police Record Check) and VSS (Vulnerable Sector Check) required
- Mandatory training requirement
We’ve got you covered:
(For permanent positions only) We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a fabulous merchandise discount; an employer-matched retirement plan after one year; extended health, prescription, vision, and dental coverage and more.
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations. We want to learn about you! Please submit your application (Cover Letter and Resume) to email@example.com.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact our Human Resources Team if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.
START DATE: 01/01/2021