EMPLOYER: Ottawa Safety Council
The Adult Crossing Guard is responsible for the safe passage of children and the public through their assigned area, according to applicable safety standards and regulations. This individual will maintain a calm and professional demeanor at all times.
- Direct or escort pedestrians across the street, stopping traffic as necessary.
- Maintain focus and avoid disruptions while escorting students and pedestrians across the street.
- Communicate traffic, crossing rules and other information to students and adults.
- Report unsafe behaviors of students to school officials.
- Review assigned intersection on a daily basis and report any unsafe conditions to the City of Ottawa and Program Coordinator/Manager.
- Monitor traffic flow to locate safe gaps through which pedestrians cross streets.
- Stand and maintain alertness at all times.
- Be aware of emergency vehicles approaching the area, ensuring that they have priority over both vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
- Document license plates of dangerous motorists and report to appropriate officials.
- Comply with all safety requirements, and wear all required equipment (provided).
- Use appropriate traffic control signage (STOP sign) in the approved manner.
- Recent clean Vulnerable Sector Police Records Check.
- Confirmation of physical health from a licensed physician. Reference to full manual dexterity and multi-limb coordination essential.
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills (English).
- Ability to interact and cooperate with people of diverse ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Must be able to walk briskly at a pace of at least 1 metre per second and to move repeatedly in and out of intersection as above and stand for up to 1.5 hours at a time.
- Must be able to dress appropriately for and perform moderate physical labor under adverse environmental conditions
- Ability to hold more than 5 lbs of weight (i.e., Stop paddle) above shoulder height for extended periods of time.
- 20/20 Vision (with or without corrective lenses); Adequate depth & peripheral perception
- Ability to pass standard reaction time test.
- Ability to remain vigilant, alert and perform duties quickly and safely, as determined by the Program Coordinator, Program Manager & Director of Programs and Policies.
- Outside work conditions that include inclement weather, heat, humidity & exposure to dust.
- Hazard associated with traffic conditions.
START DATE: 07/11/2019