EMPLOYER: Farm Radio International
Position title: Financial Analyst
Position location: Ottawa
Reports to: Finance Manager (Ottawa)
Contract term: Permanent
Deadline to apply: Open until filled
Nature and Scope:
This Financial Analyst (FA) position will be based in Ottawa with regular communication and coordination with colleagues in Canada and overseas and some required travel overseas. The FA will have overall responsibility for the financial administration of project activities and is expected to provide high professional expertise in the conduct of financial affairs relating to the project. He or she must be a self-starter; results oriented, enjoys working as part of a team and is willing and able to travel. Specific responsibilities include:
- Hands on responsibility to perform month-end and year-end closings, deferred revenue reconciliations, monthly sub-ledger balancing, review and verification of all payments, exchange rate calculations, preparation of month-end journal entries, and maintaining the chart of accounts for projects.
Financial Monitoring of Overseas Projects:
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements of project activities after incorporating the field transactions for the disbursements made for overseas project operations.
- Perform financial analysis, prepare donor financial reports that are comprehensive and meet all requirements specified by the donor.
- Review field bank reconciliations and manage the cash balances for the projects.
- Forecast expenses, record and monitor payables (commitments) and receivables
- Ensure finance staff in the field are properly trained in terms of accounting, preparation of their country/project budgets, donor requirements, and allocation of expenditures etc.
- May Involve travel to field offices to train staff and to provide assistance with overseas financial procedures.
- Prepare detailed project working papers and year-end reconciliation of project accounts.
- Support audits commissioned by donor agencies in Ottawa and overseas including monitoring visits.
- Participate in internal audits of overseas projects supported by WUSC.
- Ensure sub-grantees financial accounting/reporting complies with donor requirements.
- Ensure implementation of necessary financial controls and due diligence (review of periodical reports, frequent monitoring visits and internal audits in the field, etc.)
- Provide regular variance analysis of project implementation and offer recommendations for possible improved courses of action to ensure efficient use of project funds.
- Prepare detailed annual project budgets in conjunction with project staff.
- Provide support in financial aspects of new project proposal development for submission to various donors.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in corporate accounting, and project accounting with international operations.
- Proficiency in computer skills, spreadsheets (Excel), accounting packages (QuickBooks, SAGE 50), and communications packages (MS Word, and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains will be a definite asset.
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills. Capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in a concise and clear manner.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills in English.
Farm Radio International is the only international non-profit organization dedicated
exclusively to serving African farming families and rural communities through the innovative
use of radio and mobile phones.
We always work through existing local radio stations. Our network currently includes more
than 650 radio partners across 40 sub-Saharan African countries. Building the capacity
of these stations and their local stakeholders is central to our approach to building viable
communication platforms for long-term sustainable development.
We have seven offices in sub-Saharan Africa and run major projects in Burkina Faso,
Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, Tanzania, and Uganda. And we
have worked with funders and partners such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, CABI,
Global Affairs Canada, the International Development Research Centre, the International
Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, Irish Aid, USAID, and the World Food Programme.
Together with our broadcasting and project partners, we reach tens of millions of small-
scale farmers with life-changing information and enable them to have a stronger voice in
their own development.
Farm Radio is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of colour and members of equity-seeking communities are strongly encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To submit your application, send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
START DATE: 09/15/2021