EMPLOYER: Ottawa Safety Council
This position is for when Elementary Schools are in session, Guards are off for the summer. This Team Lead covers Nepean, Belles Corners, Carlingwood and Westboro areas. The Team Lead works 3 hours a day, 1.5 in the morning and 1.5 in the afternoon. The pay is 23$/hr and $15 a day mileage.
The Team Lead position will provide necessary duties in “the field” at intersections and routes throughout the City, supporting both the Adult Crossing Guard (ACG) program and the Walking School Bus (WSB) program within operational school hours.
Adult Crossing Guards is responsible for the safe passage of children and the public through their assigned area, according to applicable safety standards and regulations. This individual will maintain a calm and professional demeanor at all times.
Walking School Bus Leaders are responsible for the safe passage of students walking on an assigned route to school. During the walk to school, the Leader will deliver easy, fun and educational program elements to the students, with a main focus on teaching them how to walk safely in traffic.
- Team Leads are responsible for all of the intersections and walking school bus routes (i.e., “sites”) that fall within their “Zone”.
- Team Leads are responsible for building their schedule in such a way that they visit each one of their sites in both the morning and the afternoon at least once in a three-month time period. Team Leads may also be asked to go to specific sites for a certain reason and must be able to adjust their schedule accordingly.
- Twice daily (at school bell times) Team Leads visit these sites to perform any of the various duties listed
- Communicating with the Crossing Guards and Walking School Bus Leaders (i.e., answering questions, listening to/addressing concerns, building rapport etc.)
- Liaising with the staff at various schools within a Zone
- Performing Pedestrian Counts
- Performing Physical Site Inspections (i.e., Pavement marking, assessing potential hazards, checking school zone signage, observing traffic patterns)
- Training new Crossing Guards and WSB Leaders
- Completing Crossing Guard and WSB Leader Performance Evaluations and Assessments
- Promptly reporting any potentially dangerous situations to the Program Manager
- Promptly reporting Crossing Guard and WSB Leader absenteeism/performance issues to the Manager
- Distribution & Retrieval of Equipment
- Dispersal of rewards and incentives to the Crossing Guards and WSB Leaders filling in as a Back-up guard and back-up WSB Leader when other back-up resources are exhausted
- Must have a valid, clean Police Record Check for Vulnerable Sectors
- Must hold a valid G driver’s license with fewer than seven demerit points and maintain a clean record.
- Must have a reliable vehicle as local travel is required.
- A home computer and personal cell phone with data is required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to apply understanding to carry out instructions in written and verbal form.
- A self-starter with a high degree of initiative.
START DATE: 10/17/2021