EMPLOYER: Farm Radio International
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Project Finance Manager, the Project Development Budget Officer (PDBO) will provide a wide range of support for the budgeting process of program development work, the financial administration of project activities and other financial analyses. The PDBO will assist the Program Development Team in preparation of budgets for new proposals and assist the Director of Finance with the coordination of the annual budget.
While this position is based in Ottawa, the incumbent will also have regular communication and coordination with colleagues overseas and occasional travel may be required.
We seek a candidate who is well versed in all aspects of financial administration of projects and possesses strong analytical, cost accounting, budgeting and financial reporting skills within the field of international development. The candidate must be a results-oriented self-starter who enjoys working as part of a team.
Expectations of the role are as follows.
Cost Accounting and Financial Projections
- Aid in the preparation of annual budgets for all cost centres as well as the annual budgets for countries in which FRI operates.
- Provide support to the program development team in the preparation of PD budgets for new proposals, providing training and orientation to proposal developers and the development and maintenance of a proposal budget guide for staff in Ottawa and FRI Country offices.
- Collect and maintain the unit cost table for all countries.
- Assist the Director of Finance in the production of the annual budget and periodic forecasting.
Financial Monitoring of Overseas Projects
- Perform financial analysis, assist in preparation of donor financial reports that are comprehensive and meet all the requirements specified by the donor.
- Travel to the field office, if needed, to train staff and to provide assistance with overseas financial procedures.
- Provide support in preparing detailed project working papers and year-end reconciliation of project accounts.
- Help support audits commissioned by donor agencies in Ottawa and overseas including monitoring visits.
- Ensure that all internal controls, GAAP and CRA regulations are followed in the financial administration of projects.
- Provide support during the month-end reporting process.
- Serve as back-up to other accountants.
Other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Competencies
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field; experience deemed to be equivalent to this requirement may be acceptable.
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience in cost accounting and project accounting with international operations.
- Good technical skills (computer, Google Suite of products, Excel spreadsheets) andcommunications/presentation software (MS Word, Power Point).
- Demonstrated knowledge and prior experience working with a wide variety of international development funding agencies (rules, regulations and contracting structures) including experience with donor agencies (ie. Global Affairs Canada, UKAid, USAid) multilateral agencies (Dubai Cares, AfDB, UNICEF, UNHCR, etc.) and charitable organizations/foundations.
- Proven experience in developing costing models budgets at the project design stage and risk assessment/mitigation for $5M+ proposals.
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills. Capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in a concise and clear manner.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills in English and French essential.
- A proven track record as a financial analyst or a similar role in a non-profit and/or International Development organization with hands-on experience reviewing complex contracts and agreements.
- Previous experience working on long-term development projects is an asset.
FRI is an affirmative action employer. Women, people of colour and members of equity-seeking communities are strongly encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Jobapps@farmradio.org
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
START DATE: 11/01/2021