EMPLOYER: Right at Home Ottawa
Job Description - RPN
Right at Home (RAH) is one of the largest and most trusted providers of a comprehensive suite of supportive care services for disabled, injured or aging clients, delivered in-home, wherever home is to them. Right at Home is one of the largest and most reputable provider of supportive care services for both families in the community and Retirement Home / Long Term Care settings alike. Right at Home has operations spread across eight countries around the world with over 600 offices globally. Joining Right at Home means you are joining an enormous team of caring, professional nurses and PSWs all with the same mission to improve the quality of life of those we serve.
Right at Home Ottawa (RAH Ottawa) is in search of a part-time Registered Practical Nurse. As a RPN with Right at Home Ottawa, you will be making a difference in the lives of your clients each day. The RPN will collaborate with the Care Planner to meet the needs of clients and attain an optimal level of independence in the home environment.
Access to a vehicle is required as there might be a need to travel throughout the area of work.
You will make an impact in the following ways:
- Assists clients with activities of daily living such as feeding, lifts and transfers, bathing, skincare, oral hygiene, and toileting
- Performs delegations for tasks for which transfer of function (delegation) training is required, such as catheter care, suppositories, applying non-sterile dressings, and implementing exercise and mobilization routines
- Administers medication to clients and provides medication reminders in accordance with established policy and delegation
- Performs Nursing Assessments as required such as vital signs measurement
- Injection administration / giving injections
- Observes clients and their environments, and reports unsafe conditions and behavioural, physical, and / or cognitive changes to supervisor
- Demonstrates methods and provides basic information to clients in relation to activities of daily living, housekeeping, meal planning and preparation, and grocery shopping, in accordance with pre-established care plans
- To implement and coordinate the resident's pre-established care plan working with the resident/substitute decision maker, physicians, nursing & interdisciplinary team
- Completes and maintains related records and documentation such as communication books and progress reports
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Participates in continuing education
- Attends RAH in-services, including Nursing related meetings
- Attends Client conferencing meetings
- May participate in RAH community events when requested, upon mutual agreement
What we offer you:
- Pay in lieu for benefits
- Pay in lieu for vacation
- Paid orientation
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- Work life balance
- Employee assistance program
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
You may be required to:
- Use safe body mechanics for lifting
- Bend, turn, squat on an ongoing basis
- Stand, sit, kneel for short periods
You will need to have:
- The RPN must be graduated from a Practical Nursing Program approved by Council of the College of Nurses;
- Current registration as a Registered Practical Nurse in applicable Province/State;
- Any past experience working in a senior’s environment and with unregulated care providers will be an asset;
- Must have demonstrated sound clinical knowledge;
- Current Certificate of Standard First Aid and Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider or equivalent such as Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation/Automated External Defibrillator (CPR/AED) Level C;
- Current (within 6 months) Vulnerable Position/Sector Screening (VSS)
- Clear vulnerable Sector check (obtained within previous six months)
- Up to date immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, rubella and hepatitis
- Negative tuberculosis test
- Compassion and desire to work with elderly/vulnerable sector
- Good communication in English, both written and verbal
- Bilingualism is an asset (English and French)
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to adjust to working with people of different background and abilities
- Access to a vehicle
- Valid driving license
Additional Application Information:
YOU MATTER MOST TO US! We provide exceptional support and opportunities to, YOU, our exceptional brand ambassador:
- At Right at Home Ottawa (RAH Ottawa) our focus is not on shift filling. We offer you the opportunity to join a Care Team where you and a select number of Caregivers work with that client in a meaningful, relationship-orientated way.
- You will be offered the opportunity to join multiple Care Teams depending on your availability. This means you will get to know your client AND your team.
- Our Care Team approach provides you quality support by a stellar operations and backup team which will be your backbone in every assignment. We aren't just an employment provider. Right At Home Ottawa is beyond that. We are completely involved, support you at every step and are always in continuous communication with you. We are with you all through.
- You will get ample opportunities to grow in your career and transition to management/administrative positions should you and when such positions are available.
- RAH Ottawa ALSO offer flexible schedules, casual work AND FTG/ PTG & Monthly scheduling working around YOU. Our Care Team approach drives the way we build your schedule. We provide you with a monthly calendar that has been designed around your requested days off.
- RAH Ottawa also offers caregiver incentive programs, contest, appreciation events and LOTS MORE! At RAH Ottawa our Caregivers voice is important to us – we always have an open door for you to connect with us and ask questions, give feedback, offer suggestions – YOUR VOICE MATTERS TO US!
- RAH Ottawa is dedicated to our employees and their ongoing learning. We offer a variety of continuing education opportunities from on-site skills teaching, online training certificate programs, virtual training programs to enhanced skills certificates and more!
- If you are currently a student, we have opportunities for you! We have RPN students completing their placement hours with us. Our students can work for us and get paid as a caregiver companion while they finish their program.
- If you are a nursing student that has completed first year – we can get you working also!
We CARE for you! How RAH responded during COVID:
- Right at Home Canada for those caregivers that choose to work for us in COVID positive environment, RAH has a unique support program should they need to temporarily isolate before starting their next assignment.
- We understand our caregiver’s personal situations and our care scenarios reflect both COVID and non COVID scenarios. RAH provides direct team meetings with our DOC to discuss and concerns or questions you may have about COVID and you, your work or your family.
Which AREAS do we SERVE?
- We serve Ottawa, all areas surrounding Ottawa, Perth, Casselman, Arnprior, Renfrew, Gatineau, Lanark, Brockville, Hawkesbury, and Cornwall.
START DATE: Immediate