EMPLOYER: Right at Home Ottawa
Job Description - PSW
Right at Home is one of the largest and most trusted providers of a comprehensive suite of supportive care services for disabled, injured, or aging clients, delivered in-home, wherever home is to them. Right at Home is one of the largest and most reputable provider of supportive care services for both families in the community and Retirement Home / Long Term Care settings alike. Right at Home has operations spread across eight countries around the world with over 600 offices globally. Joining Right at Home means you are joining an enormous team of caring, professional nurses and PSWs all with the same mission to improve the quality of life of those we serve.
Right at Home Ottawa is in search of a part-time Personal Support Worker. As a PSW with Right at Home Ottawa, you will be making a difference in the lives of your clients each day. You will provide personal care, light housekeeping, delegated exercise programs, and activities of daily living (ADLs) at the homes of your clients as prescribed by each client’s individual care plan. The PSW will collaborate with the Care Planner to meet the needs of clients and attain an optimal level of independence in the home environment.
Access to a vehicle is required as there might be a need to travel throughout the area of work.
You will make an impact in the following ways:
- Assist in the activities of daily living including eating, dressing, lifts and transferring, toileting, grooming, skin care, oral hygiene, and bathing
- Performs delegated tasks for which transfer of function (delegation) training has been completed, such as catheter care, suppositories, applying non-sterile dressings, and implementing exercise and mobilization routines
- Administers medication to clients and provides medication reminders in accordance with established policy and delegation
- Provide laundry of clothes and linens
- Plans, prepares, and serves meals, and shops for groceries
- Provide cognitive, social, and compassionate support
- Document reports for clients on their plan of care and any changes in the behaviour of daily routines
- Maintain a clean, safe, home environment
- Sweep, vacuum, sponge mop floors
- Dust furniture
- Clean bathrooms
- Change bed linens, wash, dry personal clothing and linens
- Collect garbage from all rooms and dispose of in designated trash bins
- Wash and dry dishes
- Wash fridge and stove (as required)
- Follow infection control policies and procedures for housekeeping
- Report unsafe conditions or changes in the client’s home environment
- Demonstrates methods and provides basic information to clients in relation to activities of daily living, housekeeping, meal planning and preparation, and grocery shopping, in accordance with pre-established care plans
- Completes and maintains related records and documentation such as communication books and progress reports
- Accompanies clients on outings such as appointments, shopping, and leisure activities
- Performs other related duties as assigned
What we offer you:
- Pay in lieu for benefits
- Pay in lieu for vacation
- Paid orientation
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- Work-life balance
- Employee assistance program
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
You will be required to:
- Use safe body mechanics for lifting
- Bend, turn, squat on an ongoing basis
- Stand, sit, kneel for short periods
You will need to have:
- Ontario Certified Personal Support Worker Certificate and/or National Association of Career Colleges (NAC) Certificate, or Certificate in Home Support Worker (Level II, III), or Developmental Service Worker program, Health Care Aide, Foreign-Trained BScN or Doctor, Paramedic Graduate, BScN Nursing Student, or second year RPN student.
- Clear Vulnerable Sector check (obtained within previous six months)
- Up to date immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, rubella, and hepatitis
- Negative tuberculosis test
- Ability to execute Household management tasks
- Compassion and desire to work with elderly/vulnerable sector
- Good communication in English, both written and verbal
- Bilingualism is an asset (English and French)
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to adjust to working with people of different backgrounds and abilities.
- Access to a vehicle
- Valid driving license
- Any housekeeping experience is an asset
- Experience with Palliative Care is considered an asset
- First Aid CPR is considered an asset
Additional Application Information:
YOU MATTER MOST TO US! We provide exceptional support and opportunities to, YOU, our exceptional brand ambassador:
- At Right at Home Ottawa (RAH Ottawa) our focus is not on shift filling. We offer you the opportunity to join a Care Team where you and a select number of Caregivers work with that client in a meaningful, relationship-orientated way.
- You will be offered the opportunity to join multiple Care Teams depending on your availability. This means you will get to know your client AND your team.
- Our Care Team approach provides you quality support by a solid operation and backup team which will be your backbone in every assignment. We aren't just an employment provider. Right At Home Ottawa is beyond that. We are completely involved, support you at every step, and are always in continuous communication with you. We are with you all through.
- You will get ample opportunities to grow in your career and transition to management/administrative positions should you and when such positions are available.
- RAH Ottawa ALSO offers flexible schedules, casual work, AND FTG/ PTG & Monthly scheduling working around YOU. Our Care Team approach drives the way we build your schedule. We provide you with a monthly calendar that has been designed around your requested days off.
- RAH Ottawa also offers caregiver incentive programs, contests, appreciation events, and LOTS MORE! At RAH Ottawa our Caregivers’ voice is important to us – we always have an open door for you to connect with us and ask questions, give feedback, offer suggestions – YOUR VOICE MATTERS TO US!
- RAH Ottawa is dedicated to our employees and their ongoing learning. We offer a variety of continuing education opportunities from on-site skills teaching, online training certificate programs, virtual training programs to enhanced skills certificates, and more!
- If you are currently a student, we have opportunities for you! We have PSW students completing their placement hours with us. Our students can work for us and get paid as a caregiver companion while they finish their program.
- If you are a nursing student that has completed the first year – we can get you working also!
We CARE for you! How RAH responded during COVID:
- Right at Home Canada for those caregivers that choose to work for us in COVID positive environment, RAH has a unique support program should they need to temporarily isolate before starting their next assignment.
- We understand our caregiver’s personal situations and our care scenarios reflect both COVID and non COVID scenarios. RAH provides direct team meetings with our DOC to discuss any concerns or questions you may have about COVID and you, your work, or your family.
Which AREAS do we SERVE?
- We serve Ottawa, all areas surrounding Ottawa, Perth, Casselman, Arnprior, Renfrew, Gatineau, Lanark, Brockville, Hawkesbury, and Cornwall.
START DATE: Immediate