EMPLOYER: STEM Camp
The STEM Camp mission is to inspire Canadian youth through participating in hands-on activities in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Our philosophy is that children learn while they have fun and if they have fun while learning we have a chance to bridge the gap between students and the real world. Through summer camp educational experiences, we prepare them for a world where most of the employment will be in STEM-related career opportunities.
STEM Camp is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
Do you have a passion for education and learning? Do you love working with children and youth? Do you consider yourself a coding or robotics specialist? Then we want you to join STEM Camp as a Camp Counsellor! The Camp Counsellor is enthusiastic and has seamless group management skills. Camp Counsellors enjoy organizing the camp activities from setup to cleanup. The Counsellors will respect health and safety procedures and have strong leadership skills. This is a 9-week contract position.
Why join STEM Camp?
- Monday to Friday work schedule – weekends off!
- Daytime work hours
- Civic Holiday Off
- Fun work environment and culture working with children
- Career pathing – get experience in the STEM fields
- Future leadership opportunities – apply for Camp Leader or Activity Coordinator
- Rewards and Recognition
As a Camp Counsellor, your duties and responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Leading activities for a group of STEM campers as assigned by Head Office; Leading inquiry and discussion surrounding those activities
- Assisting campers in learning more about STEM Camp projects;
- Creating a fun, enjoyable, and safe atmosphere for campers;
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and positive interactions in every session with campers and your peers; coming to each session prepared
- Engaging with each camper as they work through activities, and showing an interest in each camper as s/he works through activities;
- Ensuring that all campers under your care are treated equally, consistently and fairly;
- Assuming the responsibility of leadership with consistent and specific direction in the supervision of campers;
- Using only Head Office approved websites, online tools and videos in camp activities;
- Demonstrating emotional maturity, a positive attitude, thoughtfulness and stability in decision-making;
- Being self-confident and able to accept and adopt constructive feedback;
- Providing appropriate feedback to, and communication with parents or guardians whenever needed, and immediately when emergency contact with parents/guardians is required;
- Completing all company training and abiding by all STEM Camp policies, rules and regulations;
- Following all daily campsite cleaning procedures;
- Carrying out other reasonable duty requests from any member of the Management Team;
- Ensuring sessions are running smoothly and that both campers and counsellors are following the STEM Camp guidelines;
- Ensuring each session has the material needed to run smoothly by creating different games and activities for campers aged 5-13 to engage in as they work through the program material with their counsellors
Note: Candidates applying for any position with STEM Camp must have proof of First Aid Certification as well as a recent (within the last two years) Police Check in the Vulnerable Sector, unless these services are currently unavailable due to COVID-19. Proof of full vaccination against Covid-19, including any booster shots per the direction of public health is required upon hire.
- Completing high school diploma or currently enrolled in a STEM-related field at a post-secondary institution
- 1 year experience working with children
- Applicants who are Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be prioritized
- Knowledge and understanding of STEM related topics
- Inspirational and creative thinking skills
- Customer service-oriented Teamwork and Collaboration, Adaptability and Initiative
- Strong planning and organizational skills, with the ability to anticipate problems and opportunities, and develop effective solutions
- Excellent communication and skills
- Must be able to commute to workplace location(s)
- Standard First Aid/ CPR Certificate
- Bilingualism is an asset (English and French)
What to expect
Although our camps run on a seasonal basis in July and August, we are looking for Camp Counsellors to begin training starting June 27, 2022. This is a full-time, contract role that is a great opportunity for people who enjoy working with children.
COVID-19 Considerations: To keep our employees and customers safe we provide PPE, extensive health & safety protocols to keep our team and clients safe. All employees are
taking COVID-19 masking and sanitizing protocols seriously and abiding by public health guidelines.
Rate of pay: $15.00/hour
START DATE: 06/27/2022