EMPLOYER: Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre
Violence Against Women Counsellor
Full-time, permanent position, including evenings and weekends
French language capacity required
Under the supervision of the VAW Manager and participating as part of the Violence Against Women team, the VAW counsellor will provide short-term counselling individually and in groups for women referred to the Violence Against Women Program. Specifically to intervene in crisis, provide short-term counselling, and co-facilitate support groups.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Job Specific Responsibilities:
- Provide short-term counselling for individuals;
- Intervene in crisis and refer as needed;
- Assess client safety needs and develop a safety plan;
- Provide appropriate referrals to additional resources, including transitional support and housing workers, and collaborate with other service providers;
- Advocate on behalf of client, and client group;
- Provide training to community groups;
- Participate in advocacy and coordination committees about services available, gaps in services and issues affecting women, and children and their families;
- Present to community groups on issues and services;
- Participate in internal and external meetings, public education events and media contacts as required.
All WOCRC employees have some fundamental responsibilities that go beyond the confines of their occupations. These include:
- Ensuring that the commitment to diversity is understood and respected;
- Working in a manner that incorporates health promotion and recognizes the determinants of health;
- Maintaining up-to-date professional skills and knowledge through formal and informal training;
- Acting as an “ambassador” for WOCRC within and outside the Centre by creating an awareness of WOCRC programs and promoting services offered;
- Complying with all mandated legal/regulatory requirements related to working at WOCRC (Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety, standards of professional conduct);
- Maintaining awareness of and compliance with WOCRC policies and procedures;
- Maintaining awareness of and compliance with funder requirements, policies, procedures and regulations;
- Working in a manner that preserves confidentiality and seeks to minimize risk in keeping with privacy and confidentiality policies and procedures;
- Supporting the centre’s student and volunteer placement programs;
- Working during both regular and extended hours of operation in locations identified by WOCRC;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Social Work or equivalent in education and training;
- Minimum 2 years of experience in direct work with abused women;
- Demonstrated commitment to community based social service delivery and health equity principles;
- Knowledge of Violence Against Women issues and counselling principles.
- Demonstrated crisis intervention skills;
- Knowledge of legal, financial, housing, employment and training resources in the community;
- Experience in community development;
- Knowledge and proficiency in program development, delivery and evaluation;
- Strong public speaking and public education skills;
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Multitasking abilities;
- Demonstrated ability to identify and serve the needs of diverse communities;
- Ability to promote teamwork and strength in a volunteer and staff group.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English, spoken and written; required;
- Ability to communicate fluently in French, spoken and written; required;
- Ability to communicate in other languages reflective of our community; an asset.
- Salary $49,554;
- 35 hours/week; including evenings, weekends;
- Ability to work flexible hours.
Please apply online via this career centre by June 10, 2022 at midnight. Please submit any questions to email@example.com. Note that applications submitted via email will not be considered.
Address cover letters to:
People Services Manager
Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre
2 MacNeil Court, Kanata ON K2L 4H7
WOCRC has an accommodation process in place that provides accommodations for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please do not hesitate to let us know how we can best accommodate you.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this employment opportunity. Please note however that, due to the volume of résumés received, only those applicants selected for further consideration, will be contacted.
START DATE: 05/24/2022