Recollective is a SaaS web application looking to dominate the online research space through innovative features and industry-leading usability. If you're passionate about web applications and like small agile teams—where you can make a significant impact—then Recollective is for you. We are currently seeking a top-calibre DevOps specialist.
We love building solutions that bring people together to connect, engage and collaborate with intuitive ease and reliability. The company was founded in 1998 but we pivoted to build and launch Recollective in 2010 and have been iterating it ever since.
Recollective has now been deployed by over a 1000 of the world's top research agencies and brands to conduct qualitative research in nearly every industry. On Recollective, businesses can easily engage stakeholders in structured or unstructured activities within their own private community supported by familiar social features. Information may be collected, socialized and analyzed via computer desktop or mobile device and incorporates text, images, audio, video, files, and rich media exercises.
The Senior DevOps Specialist will be a part of the team that is responsible for designing, developing, and operating the infrastructure and applications. You will be in charge of the management of all cloud based deployments across all supported geographies.
Overview of the Role
Reporting to the CTO, the DevOps role is important in the continuous delivery, deployment, auditing, analysis and running of highly available and resilient distributed systems for our customers. The DevOps role works under general direction and is responsible for combining mature technical knowledge and skills with coaching skills to contribute to the quality, effectiveness and efficiency of the technical work completed by them and their colleagues.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced systems and network administrator with strong Linux knowledge and shell scripting ability with an eye towards network security. They will have evolved into and operated as the primary AWS cloud architect responsible for a small to medium SaaS company’s production environment. The successful candidate has been responsible for high availability scaled deployments of production web applications as well as managed backups, data retention policies and disaster recovery. They have fully implemented logging and auditing to monitor for and action on security events, leveraging Cloudwatch, Security Hub, GuardDuty and other AWS offerings.
In addition, the ideal candidate has strong experience with EC2, VPC networking, security groups with knowledge of RDS and EFS. They have strong knowledge of IAM policies and how to leverage documented and audited access controls. The successful candidate is at least familiar with, if not experienced, using AWS’ Elastic Beanstalk, ECS Fargate, CDK or CloudFormation. Optimally they are also skilled in CI/CD with Jenkins, GitHub and Jira.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
In this role you will:
- Document and design various processes; update existing processes with a focus on quality
- Inventory and document existing cloud infrastructure, identifying shortcomings and areas for improvement.
- Ensure adequate logging and event management is in place for auditing and compliance requirements
- Ensure policies and controls are in place to facilitate in asset tracking and patch compliance and system updates
- Assist in the design of production systems to offer insight, suggest solutions and highlight options in order to achieve our architectural objectives
- Support security compliance activities, contributing to the evolution of the organization’s security posture
- Monitor production systems and find ways to improve scalability, availability and incident escalation management
- Evaluate current backup and recovery processes with an eye to implement comprehensive HA/DR strategies and assist in the development and implementation of disaster recovery and business continuity plans
- Investigate viability of implementing infrastructure as code solutions in place of or alongside existing implementations. Cloudformation, Beanstalk and CDK as launching points.
- Provide technical guidance and educate team members and coworkers on systems, security and operations
- Provide a secure and audited solution for development access to production resources via VPN or other methods
- Brainstorm for new ideas and ways to improve development delivery
- Propose improvements to infrastructure and application development
- Determine, propose and recommend good practices and procedures
- Evaluate and evolve existing CI/CD pipelines for multiple environments
- Assist in build and test automation tools for infrastructure provisioning
Role Specific Competencies
- Accountability: Balances organizational, team and individual commitments
- Communication: Adapts communication to respond to audience or situational requirements
- Teamwork: Encourages others to participate in team activities, ensures teams are working effectively
- Leadership: Promotes and builds internal commitment
- Problem Solving: Analyzes complex issues to develop approaches or solutions that are considered forward thinking and best practice
- Risk Management: Reports on risk concerns and develops responses, endures the organization is prepared for associated risks
- Planning and Organizing: Continuously adapts priorities and responsibilities in response to changing needs
- Critical Thinking: Gathers and analyzes information using past experience, and organizational practices and processes in order to set a course of action
- Adaptability: Continuously adapts behaviours and approaches to address specific situations
- Decision Making: Adapts decision making based on circumstances or when presented with unclear information
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering
- 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent
- 3+ years of system administration or devops experience
- 2+ years of AWS experience
This position is located at our head office in downtown Ottawa (World Exchange Plaza) with the flexibility to work remotely. Applicants located outside of Ottawa are welcome to apply but must be willing to work within a North American time zone, preferably Eastern Time.
We welcome you to join a fun but driven culture that promotes diversity and growth through an open and transparent approach to business. We offer competitive compensation, superior health benefits, RRSP matching and many extras such as company-sponsored social outings, free snacks, coffee and more. We are looking forward to welcoming everyone to our brand new headquarters at the World Exchange Plaza.
APPLY NOW: https://recollective.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=30&source=bamboohr
Recollective is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities and racialized people, people from gender and sexually diverse communities.
We want to be sure that everyone is able to participate fully and equally in our selection process. If you are selected for an interview, please let us know if you require any special accommodation.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in our company, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by our Talent Acquisition team.
START DATE: 07/01/2022