EMPLOYER: Shepherds of Good Hope
Shepherds of Good Hope is one of the largest not-for-profit organizations dedicated to meeting the needs of homeless and vulnerably-housed individuals in the city of Ottawa. Many individuals who access our programs and services live with trauma, mental health challenges and addictions. A leader in supportive housing and harm-reduction, Shepherds of Good Hope provides around-the-clock, comprehensive services to both women and men in multiple locations across the city. By offering innovative programs and services in a non-judgmental environment, we are creating a community for all through acceptance, compassion and care.
This position is for our Hope Living Residence, located at 145 Castlefrank Road, in Kanata. Reporting to the Manager of Hope Living, this role provides care services to the residents at this housing program.
Shifts are available based upon operational needs. Some shifts are scheduled with advance notice but the successful candidate must also be available for additional shifts and have ability to pick up emergency shifts. GA Shifts typically are: 07:00-13:30 & 16:00-22:30 & UCP Shifts typically are: 07:00-15:00, 15:00-23:00 & 23:00-7:00
This is an excellent introduction for recent grads of the Developmental Support Worker (DSW) or Personal Support Worker Programs (PSW). This position allows you the freedom to choose a flexible schedule and the opportunity to work among a caring and supportive staff team. Hope Living offers the ability to make an important impact on the lives of those in your community while you learn and grow on the job. Come join our team and see where hope lives!
- Providing direct resident care in accordance with approved standards of care such a monitoring a clients’ vital signs, collecting routine lab exams and administering medications
- May provide personal care such as assisting with clothing, hygiene, mobility and other routine activities of living.
- Developing and maintaining a neat, clean and safe environment for residents and employees.
- Maintaining effective communication and good interpersonal relations with medical and allied staff, residents, families and other departments.
- Maintain accurate records of nursing observations and procedures performed.
- Communicates in a positive manner with co-workers, management, visitors, residents and their families.
- Additional responsibilities as required.
Personal Support Worker certificate, or equivalent
Current certificate in First Aid and CPR
Past related work experience in health care
Must be able to perform turning, stooping, bending, stretching and lifting to assist residents in care requirement and other related duties
Excellent communication and listening skills
Compassionate, patient and caring nature
- Able to lift up to 25kg.
- Able to read text and communicate orally in English. Ability to communicate in other languages is considered an asset.
For successful candidates:
- A recent vulnerable sector check completed at maximum 3 months prior to employment offer.
- Health and Safety Training completed during onboarding and updated annually.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is an essential requirement of all positions at Shepherds of Good Hope. Fully vaccinated is defined as having received a full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by Health Canada (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series), and having received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days earlier. SGH will consider the possibility of accommodating any applicant who cannot be fully vaccinated for valid medical reasons.
Job Types: Casual, Permanent
Salary: From $18.34 per hour
Extra sanitization of site, masks and PPE provided
START DATE: 08/08/2022