Since 1973, RBR has been designing and manufacturing oceanographic instruments in Ottawa, Ontario to measure our blue planet. The effects of climate change are being seen from the ocean’s abyss to the polar ice caps and our sensors quantify this change to support better analysis, improved planning, and more effective mitigation strategies. Our instruments measure water parameters in some of the harshest environments on the planet! They are mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, and sent to the bottom of the ocean – sometimes for years at a time – all in an effort to get precise and accurate data to support climate research! We have been fortunate to be able to partner with some of the world's leaders in the field of ocean science, like Fisheries and Oceans Canada, The Scripps Institution of Oceanography, The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, The Norwegian Polar Institute, and The British Antarctic Survey, just to name a few!
At RBR, our people care about the environment, our community, their work, and - of course - each other! We value curiosity, experimentation, and doing the right thing, and while we do some serious work to support world-changing science, we don’t take ourselves too seriously – we like to let our hair down and cut loose too! Our Ottawa team recently moved our HQ to a new space that includes large meeting spaces to encourage collaboration, a sweet snack room, a large and modern lunch area, and even a fish tank!
About the Role
As a Java Developer at RBR, you will support the business needs of our sales, finance, engineering, operations, and service/support teams by developing our enterprise tools. As a key member of our enterprise software development team, you will be responsible for the configuration, programming, support, maintenance, training, and overall improvement of our various enterprise business systems. As a creative and resourceful problem-solver, you thrive in a fast-paced technology-forward environment.
What You'll Do:
- Write well-designed, testable code, mainly using Java and Spring Framework
- Integrate Enterprise Systems using RESTful APIs
- Maintain, suggest, implement and document improvements to the existing codebase
- Engage with various teams to capture business requirements and define technical specifications
- Manage, prioritize, and action Jira tickets
What You Bring:
- University degree in Computer Science/Software Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience with Java development
- Familiarity with the UNIX/Linux environment
- Experience with designing and developing RESTful APIs
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and design patterns
- Experience working with project management and VCS tools, such as Jira and Git/Bitbucket
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment
- Languages: Java, SQL, Bash; Apex (Salesforce)
- Architecture: MVC architecture
- Frameworks: Spring Framework
- Tools: Bitbucket, JIRA, Confluence, Eclipse, VS Code
- Hosting: Amazon AWS
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with the Salesforce development stack
- Experience with Bash scripts
- Knowledge of Docker
- Familiarity with CI/CD tools
Why Join RBR?
- The ability to make an impact and support climate research
- Electric vehicle incentive of up to $10,000 - plus on-site charging stations
- Greener commuting incentive program
- Charitable donation matching of up to $1,000 annually to charities of your choosing
- A wide range of employee wellbeing initiatives
- $200 annual fitness reimbursement program
- Work from wherever Wednesdays
- Friday lunches (on us)!
- Corporate fitness membership program
- Employee recognition program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Competitive vacation, pay, and benefits
- 20 days of annual vacation, plus time off between Christmas Day and New Year's Day
- Immediate comprehensive benefits plan (medical, dental, etc.)
- Competitive market salary
- RRSP contribution matching
- Referral program for new hires
At RBR we celebrate and support diversity in our workplace, we are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We seek to recruit the best and most talented people for the job, period. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
START DATE: 09/12/2022