Ottawa, ON, CA
7 days agoRequisition ID: 1137
Applyto Sensor Engineer
Since 1973, RBR has been designing and manufacturing oceanographic instruments in Ottawa, Ontario to measure our blue planet. The effects of climate change are being seen from the ocean’s abyss to the polar ice caps and our sensors quantify this change to support better analysis, improved planning, and more effective mitigation strategies. Our instruments measure water parameters in some of the harshest environments on the planet! They are mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, and sent to the bottom of the ocean – sometimes for years at a time – all in an effort to get precise and accurate data to support climate research! We have been fortunate to be able to partner with some of the world's leaders in the field of ocean science, like Fisheries and Oceans Canada, The Scripps Institution of Oceanography, The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, The Norwegian Polar Institute, and The British Antarctic Survey, just to name a few!
At RBR, our people care about the environment, our community, their work, and - of course - each other! We value curiosity, experimentation, and doing the right thing, and while we do some serious work to support world-changing science, we don’t take ourselves too seriously – we like to let our hair down and cut loose too! Our Ottawa team recently moved our HQ to a new space that includes large meeting spaces to encourage collaboration, a sweet snack room, a large and modern lunch area, and even a fish tank!
About the Role
As a Sensor Engineer at RBR, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with a dynamic group of R&D professionals in the areas of firmware, electronics, mechanical, software, systems, and oceanography. You will be given the opportunity to be a hands-on problem solver working with our R&D team on our sensor technology while developing your knowledge and understanding of the overall system.
What You'll Do:
As part of the Sensor Team at RBR, you will be focused on specifying and bringing to life the designs needed for measuring the ocean environment.
- Work with RBR production and in-development underwater optical sensors, including but not limited to turbidity, fluorometers, radiometers, PAR, transmissometers, nitrate, pH and dissolved oxygen sensors
- Research and define next-generation RBR sensors
- Design and perform experiments to evaluate sensor performance and to select the most appropriate path forward to a great oceanography device
- Analysis of problems to determine root causes, including hardware and software troubleshooting
- Interface with other design team members, as well as our calibration lab team
- Provide first-line support to our Production/Assembly Team for sensor-related issues and to provide second-line support in the resolution of RBR customer issues
- Work within a multidisciplinary R&D team, balancing multiple projects and product design needs
- Create detailed multi-discipline project schedules, technical specifications, and prototype verification plans
- Maintain and expand technical knowledge and skills
- Other related tasks, as required
What You Bring:
You're an inherently curious person who generates creative solutions to technical problems. Driven to find new and better ways of doing things and question the status quo, you confront challenges with enthusiasm and tenacity. You're a self-starter who is organized and accountable. Tracking your progress and reporting on your findings clearly and concisely is second nature. You like to have an impact, and you're looking for an opportunity to see how the fruits of your labour can make a tangible difference in the world.
- Bachelors degree in engineering or science
- 5-10 years of experience
- Strong technical competence
- Attention to detail
- Comfortable operating lab equipment
- Experience with data analysis tools such as Python and Matlab
- Excellent teamwork skills and a strong desire to take on new challenges
- Proficiency in oral and written English
Why Join RBR?
- The ability to make an impact and support climate research
- Electric vehicle incentive of up to $10,000 - plus on-site charging stations
- Greener commuting incentive program
- Charitable donation matching of up to $1,000 annually to charities of your choosing
- A wide range of employee wellbeing initiatives
- $200 annual fitness reimbursement program
- Work from wherever Wednesdays
- Friday lunches (on us)!
- Corporate fitness membership program
- Employee recognition program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Competitive vacation, pay, and benefits
- 20 days of annual vacation, plus time off between Christmas Day and New Year's Day
- Immediate comprehensive benefits plan (medical, dental, etc.)
- Competitive market salary
- RRSP contribution matching
- Referral program for new hires
At RBR we celebrate and support diversity in our workplace, we are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We seek to recruit the best and most talented people for the job, period. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
START DATE: 09/12/2022