Ottawa, ON, CA
Since 1973, RBR has been designing and manufacturing oceanographic instruments in Ottawa, Ontario to measure our blue planet. The effects of climate change are being seen from the ocean’s abyss to the polar ice caps and our sensors quantify this change to support better analysis, improved planning, and more effective mitigation strategies. Our instruments measure water parameters in some of the harshest environments on the planet! They are mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, and sent to the bottom of the ocean – sometimes for years at a time – all in an effort to get precise and accurate data to support climate research! We have been fortunate to be able to partner with some of the world's leaders in the field of ocean science, like Fisheries and Oceans Canada, The Scripps Institution of Oceanography, The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, The Norwegian Polar Institute, and The British Antarctic Survey, just to name a few!
At RBR, our people care about the environment, our community, their work, and - of course - each other! We value curiosity, experimentation, and doing the right thing, and while we do some serious work to support world-changing science, we don’t take ourselves too seriously – we like to let our hair down and cut loose too! Our Ottawa team recently moved our HQ to a new space that includes large meeting spaces to encourage collaboration, a sweet snack room, a large and modern lunch area, and even a fish tank!
About the Role
As a Systems Engineer at RBR, you will work in conjunction with our software, firmware, electrical, and mechanical engineers to develop and maintain integrated system products which build on and extend RBR's core data logger technology. Leveraging a variety of different platforms, from turnkey to fully custom, you will assist customers with integrating our products into their deployments – and with the productization of those integrations. Existing products with which you will be involved include a sub-sea modem capable of communicating multiple kilometres over a single conductor, a buoy-mounted data controller which transmits near-real-time data from the middle of the open ocean via satellite, and a low-latency network interface for an extremely high-resolution pressure sensor used in tsunami detection.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and maintain embedded software on a variety of integrated systems;
- Select and qualify platforms for new projects (hardware, software);
- Specify and measure system performance (power consumption, timing/bandwidth, autonomy);
- Specify, select, and design interfaces (both software and hardware) between discrete system components (including trade-off analysis and risk assessment);
- Develop user-facing specifications and documentation for system deployment/use, maintenance, and troubleshooting;
- Develop internal-facing documentation for system production, QA, and support;
- Provide engineering guidance to support end-users;
- Work with customers to develop integration requirements.
What You Bring:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related discipline, or equivalent experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Experience with the following technologies:
- Platforms: GNU/Linux and embedded devices; and server (x86)
- Programming languages: C, Java, SQL, Python, POSIX shell scripting
- Relational databases: SQLite, MySQL
- Electrical interfaces: serial (UART/RS-232/RS-485), USB, Ethernet
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with Yocto
- Programming languages: Tcl (Expect)
- Platforms: bare-metal microcontroller
- Interest in, knowledge of new and developing embedded technologies (platforms, languages)
- Knows which end of a soldering iron is the hot one
- Can wield a screwdriver
- Experience with Git
- Having a favourite breed of penguin
Why Join RBR?
- The ability to make an impact and support climate research
- Electric vehicle incentive of up to $10,000 - plus on-site charging stations
- Greener commuting incentive program
- Charitable donation matching of up to $1,000 annually to charities of your choosing
- A wide range of employee wellbeing initiatives
- $200 annual fitness reimbursement program
- Work from wherever Wednesdays
- Friday lunches (on us)!
- Corporate fitness membership program
- Employee recognition program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Competitive vacation, pay, and benefits
- 20 days of annual vacation, plus time off between Christmas Day and New Year's Day
- Immediate comprehensive benefits plan (medical, dental, etc.)
- Competitive market salary
- RRSP contribution matching
- Referral program for new hires
At RBR we celebrate and support diversity in our workplace, we are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We seek to recruit the best and most talented people for the job, period. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
START DATE: 09/12/2022