EMPLOYER: The Bess and Moe Greenberg Family Hillel Lodge
Under the general direction of the Environmental Services Manager, the General Maintenance Technician performs basic repairs and maintenance to ensure that our home’s building, equipment, and grounds are kept in good condition.
- Perform routine inspections, audits, and reporting for all areas of the Home, including machines, equipment, systems, surfaces, furniture, fixtures, and signage
- Complete small repairs and maintenance (plastering, painting, carpentry) to support general upkeep of the home
- Complete routine maintenance on set schedules and as required to ensure safety and optimal performance
- Respond to maintenance requests for moves, additions, changes within Resident rooms.
- Provide general set-up/take-down/clean-up support of meeting spaces and common areas
- Perform groundskeeping duties within and outside the building perimeter, including snow and garbage removal
- Receive and triage requests for maintenance support from staff, residents, and family members, assigning priority for completion in collaboration with direct Supervisor
- Support occasional large-scale repairs to Facility
- Monitor and refill wall/stand hand sanitizer dispensers
- Strip and wax public areas, tub-rooms and lounges annually and as needed
- Maintain garbage/waste service level area - clean and disinfect, keep tidy
- Perform general maintenance and cleaning of spaces, systems and equipment as assigned
- Clean outside, picks up garbage, sweeps walkway and washes down outside shipping and loading area when necessary
- Other position-related tasks and/or requests as required to ensure the safety and welfare of all persons living and working within the Home
- Ensure WHMIS labels are affixed to products before they are placed in stock
- Check supplier labels to ensure the warning symbols concur with the WHMIS label and ensures that any discrepancies are reported to the supervisor
- Monitor the Safety Data Sheets (SDS) to ensure validity & replace when required
- Dispose of all expired chemical inventory as per WHMIS guidelines
- Remove all Non-Hillel Lodge approved chemicals
- Perform and document weekly checks of all eye wash stations and first aid stations
Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience within the same or similar role (3 years preferred)
- Certification or comprehensive training in Maintenance Person repairs or general repairs
- Experience with building systems & equipment- HVAC, Boilers, Domestic Water systems, plumbing, electrical (basic)
- Carpentry, plumbing, roofing, masonry, painting, and landscaping skills
- Experience using power tools
- Light welding skills (aluminum, SS)- Preferred
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Is proactive and responsive to requests for support
- Strong measurement skills
- Hands-on facility/Building repairs (triage)
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and listening skills
- Patient, respectful and compassionate in working with elderly vulnerable populations
- Strong computer skills, and able to quickly learn new programs relevant to the job
Interested applicants should apply electronically with their current resume along with a cover letter explaining how they meet the requirements of the role.
Successful candidates/new employees will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or to give a commitment to being vaccinated at the earliest opportunity, subject to reasonable accommodation measures for protected grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Where notified in advance, Hillel Lodge will accommodate the needs of job applicants throughout its recruitment and selection processes in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Proof of TB and Vulnerable Sector Police background checks will be required prior to hire. Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted. No relocation assistance will be provided. No phone calls, please.
START DATE: 11/24/2022