EMPLOYER: CNIB Deafblind Community Services
Title: Specialist, Intervenor for the Deafblind community
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Position Status: Contract (one year, full-time)
Reports to: Manager, Deafblind Community Services
Closing date: Jun 30th, 2023
Watch the job posting in ASL here
Life is a journey full of challenges, dreams, adventure, and fun. At CNIB Deafblind Community Services (DBCS), we believe life for people who are Deafblind should be no different.
DBCS continues to be one of Canada's leading providers of specialized support and emergency services for people who are Deafblind. Our services enable people who are Deafblind to maximize their independence and engagement with the world around them.
We're looking to develop our team with passionate individuals who are interested in making a difference in the lives of others. If that sounds like you, talk to us today about this rewarding career opportunity.
What you'll do for CNIB Deafblind Community Services
A Specialist, Intervenor covers a broad range of duties and responsibilities, including acting as a communicator and sighted guide to individuals with a combined loss of hearing and sight, facilitating the interaction between the individual and their environment.
- Provide one on one service and support to individuals who are Deafblind in the home or the community.
- Facilitate access to information for individuals to gather information, and learn concepts and skills to make informed decisions, and facilitate communication.
- Provide sighted guide and environmental information.
- Work collaboratively with the individual who is Deafblind to determine their level of support.
- Empower each person to actively participate in their community, including recreation, education, vocation, self-advocacy, and learning opportunities; leading to a better sense of social connection.
Who you are
- knowledgeable about the theories and principles of intervention.
- knowledgeable about Deafblindness, Deaf/Deafblind culture, and common associated health-related concerns in all life stages.
- a strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills.
- self-motivated and flexible with the ability to multi-task
- able to take initiative, work independently and effectively with minimal supervision.
We want to hear from you if you have
- a diploma or degree in the human services field or related experience, working with individuals who are Deafblind would be considered an asset.
- experience in or a willingness to learn and practice related alternate formats of communication (i.e. Two-Hand Manual, American Sign Language); willingness to learn Braille.
- experience working with a diverse client population across all socio-economic and cultural groups.
- Professional demeanour and ability to build rapport with key stakeholders.
- experience with assistive or accessible technology is considered an asset.
- ability to travel and work flexible hours.
How to Apply
Contact: Sally Teng, Coordinator, People Engagement & Operations
Application Deadline: The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is identified.
CNIB Deafblind Community Services is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity based on merit, transparency, accessibility, and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity. We will provide accommodation, accessible formats and communication supports at every stage of the recruitment and selection process upon request.
Welcome any applicants with background/ certificate/ experience in social/human services field such as Developmental Services Worker (DSW), Social Services Worker (SSW), Child and Youth Work (CYW), Recreation Therapy, Sign Language Interpretation, Psychology, Sociology, Therapeutic Recreation, Registered Nurse (RN), Registered Practical Nurse (RPN),American Sign Language Certificate, American Sign Language (ASL) and Deaf studies Certificate, Personal Support Worker (PSW) Certificate, Communicative Disorders Assistant (CDA) and Human Services Certificate, etc.
We thank all applicants for their interest in CNIB Deafblind Community Services, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. While we invite applications from all interested and qualified applicants, we are unable to follow-up with every applicant.
START DATE: 07/10/2023