EMPLOYER: Town of Arnprior
Reporting to the Waterworks Supervisor, the Plant Operator position will form part of a team that operates and maintains the Town of Arnprior’s Class III Water Filtration Plant (WFP) and Class III Water Pollution Control Centre (WPCC). The responsibilities include performing a wide variety of maintenance, repair, and treatment activities associated with the operation of municipal water and sewage treatment facilities.
The primary responsibilities for this position include(but not limited to)the following:
- Ensure the proper functioning, operation and maintenance of the Water Filtration Plant (WFP), Elevated Water Tower, Water Pollution Control Centre (WPCC), and Wastewater Pumping Stations.
- Perform routine laboratory analysis and test, collect chemical and bacteriological samples.
- Set operational parameter or process that control the effectiveness and efficiency of the facility or subsystem.
- Follow the maintenance schedule by carrying out all maintenance and related work.
- Administer data entry, record keeping and complete reports as necessary.
- Ensure monitoring inspections, evaluations, and adjustments are properly recorded, including detailed work and maintenance records.
- Schedule and perform preventative maintenance checks and servicing on pumping equipment; ensure timely and accurate completion of preventative maintenance activities.
- Must carry out preventative maintenance, calibration and repairs of online water quality analysers, ensuring accurate record entries are made of work completed.
- Diagnose operational problems and perform or direct necessary corrective action.
- Pack bearings, lubricate, clean and paint equipment.
- Operate town-owned vehicles and equipment including compressors, overhead hoists, portable and stationery generators, pneumatic, hydraulic and electric tools, and related tools and equipment.
- Take part in a rotating shift and standby as per schedule, must be able to respond within 30 minutes to a call-out when on standby.
- Undertake the requirements and responsibilities for an Operator in Charge (OIC) when designated.
- Assist with operations within the Water Distribution System and the Wastewater Collections System on an emergency basis as required, within permitted MECP requirements.
The successful candidate will have as a minimum the following qualifications:
- Grade 12 in Ontario or education qualifications that the MECP Director considers equivalent.
- A two (2) year post-secondary education in water and wastewater treatment, or related field.
- Meet all of the qualifications for Operator Licenses for the applicable certification in accordance with O.Reg. 128/04 – Certification of Drinking Water System Operators and Water Quality Analysts.
- Meet all of the qualifications for Operator Licenses for the applicable certification in accordance with O.Reg. 129/04 – Licensing of Sewage Works Operators.
- Possess and maintain a valid Level “G” Ontario Driver’s License.
- An understanding of PLC and SCADA.
- Knowledge of basic mathematics and chemistry to make calculations for chemical and operating processes.
- Knowledge of maintenance manuals and other technical specifications including the use of storage of industrial chemicals.
- Applied knowledge of mechanical, electrical and instrumentation techniques, practices and maintenance.
- Knowledge of sampling and chemical techniques (lab testing).
- Possess strong administration and record keeping skills.
- Demonstrate analytical, problem solving, planning and scheduling skills to inspect, operate and monitor the facilities, processes and equipment, and perform routine preventative maintenance; take samples of the water and/or wastewater chemicals to make process control adjustments; and resolve operating issues.
- Be physically fit, alert, and capable of performing manual labour, following instructions with a minimum of supervision and with a high sense of responsibility.
- Knowledge of computer skills, process control and data entry. Specific knowledge of Microsoft Office, Filehold and Watertrax software applications would be considered an asset.
START DATE: 01/03/2024